Skip to main content

At least there is a silver lining


I realise that I have not mentioned my health of late and you might like an update so here goes.................. please feel free to click to something else if this is not of interest to you, I won't be in the least bit offended. I have also peppered this blog with some arty photos from my therapeutic walk today which may appeal to you!

Where to start? Well, I think the last time I wrote about my health, I was on the AIP diet in a bid to control my arthritis and recently diagnosed MS (along with Raynauds Syndrome).


Since then I have had an almighty flare up with my RA and have been unable to straighten my arms which has led to several steroid injections in my elbows over the summer months and a lot of pain.


I had to change my medication because of the nerve damage I was experiencing and this seems to have triggered the flare up. 

   

I came off my diet (after several weeks of pain) as I didn't have the energy to prepare everything I needed. However, I still believe the diet helps, it's just that it is only one element of the protocol - stress management, exercise, sleep and mindfulness also come into play and sometimes modern life just doesn't help or take this into consideration. 


My blog title mentions a silver lining and actually there is one. I had a long MRI brain scan over the summer and the results show that there is no new nerve damage so I have been told it is unlikely that I actually have MS now, the initial damage was probably a side effect of my medication.  Although I still have some residual nerve damage, it looks like it's not leading to full blown MS - phew!


Unfortunately the inflammation from my RA flare has now also moved to my knee so things are still a bit of a challenge.

My brother suggested I went for a walk today to help clear my head (hence the pics) and I found it really helped, not that my hound would have allowed me to stay indoors anyway. I do love to see him leaping around the fields and foraging in the undergrowth (the hound that is, not my brother!), it's also great to see the different colours and textures that each season brings.


There has been a huge amount of rain in the last 12 hours so I was out of the house as soon as it stopped. I can still manage to walk, just a little more slowly at the moment.


I am seeing my Rheumatologist soon and  I know that this is just a blip (a 3 month one so far) and my joints will calm down at some point, I just hope that there is no permanent damage to them in the meantime. Oh dear, I've just looked at this photo of a gnarled oak tree which I hope is not representative of my joints!


I really need to get on with some Art Therapy and now that the start of term is out of the way, hopefully I'll have a chance to get my teeth into some creative things.


I shall leave you with a photo of some acorns that I came across today, apparently they represent luck, prosperity, youthfulness, strength and stability. The oak leaves are also said to symbolise strength, longevity and endurance offering protection and nourishment for growth - all sounds good to me!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wendy Dolan talk on Art, Architecture and Stitch

I had a lovely evening at Chiltern Embroidery and Textile Group in Tylers Green earlier in the week, it was good to be back there after giving my own talk back in March. I took my Mum and a friend to see a talk given by Wendy Dolan on 'Art, Architecture and Stitch' which was right up my street! Wendy is a textile artist who uses fabrics and threads to create textured designs with some wonderful results. I have met Wendy several times before as she is from Sussex (where I grew up) and we also have some mutual friends.   Wendy's talk covered how she develops her work from sketchbooks through to her final designs and she showed us photographs that had inspired her from a variety of places such as Barcelona and Venice. My work is also very sketchbook led so I could easily identify with her thought process. I am also drawn to textures but Wendy's work differs from mine in that she starts with plain coloured fabrics, stitch and thread -

How to start a sketchbook project - Part 1

Since I've started a new sketchbook recently I thought I could do a diary of sorts to explain how I have put the various sections together. I chose the theme of 'Layering' as I was looking through some old A-Level Art & Design question papers and this topic appealed to me. If you want to create your own sketchbook obviously you could choose any theme you like, just make sure that it's something that interests you and you will find plenty of inspiration. I favour an A3 size sketchbook but there are no hard and fast rules on this, and it's best to go for a scale that you feel comfortable with. I started out with a title page and a 'mind map' of written ideas of anything that I felt could relate to the theme of 'layering', a brainstorm of sorts. This is a good way to get over the dreaded 'first page fear' when you just can't bring yourself to start your pristine book and any mark you make is overly scrutinis

'Marine Life' Sketchbook,

Having taken part in several Open Studio events, I have come to realise how much people do like to look at a sketchbook. I find creating the books a hugely enjoyable process and I'm still referring back to and using some of the imagery from the ones I did some 25 years ago! In this post I thought I would give you a quick flick through my 'Marine Life' book which is a more recent creation and helped to inspire my 'Shoal' and 'Sea Garden' ranges. Once I've chosen a theme I generally do a mind map and look at all the different areas I could explore within that theme. Over the next 5-10 pages I play around with different images, textures, media and scale to explore the possibilities. I also like to focus on a few artists or designers that inspire me too and may relate to my theme. I might do a few pages combining their style with mine and my theme and see what happens. I recently wrote an article for 'Workshop on the Web'