Skip to main content

From fir cones to New Designers!



          

Looking at the connections between layering (my current sketchbook theme) and nature made me think about a sketchbook I did at college which focused on fir cones. I did a 3D Design degree (Silversmithing) and for one of my projects I created a wall sconce which I developed from some fir cone sketches. 

I studied fir cones that I had found in woods near my parents house in Sussex, some of which were partly eaten by squirrels. I drew the enlarged cone shapes in my A3 sketchbook using chalks, charcoal and my favourite (mentioned in my previous blog) the Karisma Graphite Aquarelle pencil.


       




 I zoomed in on the fir cone scales and developed the shapes further.

 


I experimented with the introduction of folds to my forms which resulted in an exciting range of maquettes made from wire and card.



These models resulted in two final wall sconces being made, measuring approx 45cms in height. Both pieces were constructed using mild steel and the sconce on the left also had  some brass components. Fabulous shadows were created when a lit candle was added, particularly to the piece on the right.


 

At the end of my degree I was lucky enough to exhibit my work at the New Designers show in London and one sconce was picked for a feature in Homes & Gardens which was very exciting.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wendy Dolan talk on Art, Architecture and Stitch

I had a lovely evening at Chiltern Embroidery and Textile Group in Tylers Green earlier in the week, it was good to be back there after giving my own talk back in March. I took my Mum and a friend to see a talk given by Wendy Dolan on 'Art, Architecture and Stitch' which was right up my street! Wendy is a textile artist who uses fabrics and threads to create textured designs with some wonderful results. I have met Wendy several times before as she is from Sussex (where I grew up) and we also have some mutual friends.   Wendy's talk covered how she develops her work from sketchbooks through to her final designs and she showed us photographs that had inspired her from a variety of places such as Barcelona and Venice. My work is also very sketchbook led so I could easily identify with her thought process. I am also drawn to textures but Wendy's work differs from mine in that she starts with plain coloured fabrics, stitch and thread -

How to start a sketchbook project - Part 1

Since I've started a new sketchbook recently I thought I could do a diary of sorts to explain how I have put the various sections together. I chose the theme of 'Layering' as I was looking through some old A-Level Art & Design question papers and this topic appealed to me. If you want to create your own sketchbook obviously you could choose any theme you like, just make sure that it's something that interests you and you will find plenty of inspiration. I favour an A3 size sketchbook but there are no hard and fast rules on this, and it's best to go for a scale that you feel comfortable with. I started out with a title page and a 'mind map' of written ideas of anything that I felt could relate to the theme of 'layering', a brainstorm of sorts. This is a good way to get over the dreaded 'first page fear' when you just can't bring yourself to start your pristine book and any mark you make is overly scrutinis

'Marine Life' Sketchbook,

Having taken part in several Open Studio events, I have come to realise how much people do like to look at a sketchbook. I find creating the books a hugely enjoyable process and I'm still referring back to and using some of the imagery from the ones I did some 25 years ago! In this post I thought I would give you a quick flick through my 'Marine Life' book which is a more recent creation and helped to inspire my 'Shoal' and 'Sea Garden' ranges. Once I've chosen a theme I generally do a mind map and look at all the different areas I could explore within that theme. Over the next 5-10 pages I play around with different images, textures, media and scale to explore the possibilities. I also like to focus on a few artists or designers that inspire me too and may relate to my theme. I might do a few pages combining their style with mine and my theme and see what happens. I recently wrote an article for 'Workshop on the Web'