Skip to main content

Sketchbook Project Part 4 - Cabbages!

 

Isn't nature amazing?! Just a few slices of a red cabbage produces such incredible patterns that it is very hard to believe that it is all natural. This is the next section of my sketchbook for the 'Layering' project
 
Of course I couldn't resist pressing some paper onto these slices of cabbage to make the most of the patterns and the incredible violet purple juice which I used as a sketchbook page.


I also took a photo of one cabbage slice and repeated the picture to create this almost psychedelic pattern.

Then I played around with a combination of free machine embroidery and pen drawing on tracing paper over an enlarged cabbage slice print. Varying the scale can make for some exciting outcomes.


 

I used some wadding to do a quilted version of the pattern with some free maching embroidery that gave a good effect,.
I then extended the pattern in my sketchbook with some line drawing to the edge of the page


Using my red onion plastic net bag (it was just the right colour!), I stitched some brown wool in a 'cabbage slice' swirl pattern. Then I ironed it between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper to flatten and bond it with the heat. Ta da!

                                                   
 
Focusing on one of my cabbage slice photos, I transferred the pattern onto some foam using a blunt pencil and did a repeat prints page on some basic A3 printer paper.

                    
                                       
       
I always like to use a range of media with my design work so I tried some black iron wire to create a mini sculpture which I then manipulated in places with some muted pink satin thread

    
I cut up some of my paper prints and had a play around with the shapes in my sketchbook - these will go in my shetchbook 'library' and be used as a resource for later projects so watch this space as they may pop up again at some point!

                                             

Comments

  1. Loved everything about this. So much beauty all around us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wendy Dolan talk on Art, Architecture and Stitch

I had a lovely evening at Chiltern Embroidery and Textile Group in Tylers Green earlier in the week, it was good to be back there after giving my own talk back in March. I took my Mum and a friend to see a talk given by Wendy Dolan on 'Art, Architecture and Stitch' which was right up my street! Wendy is a textile artist who uses fabrics and threads to create textured designs with some wonderful results. I have met Wendy several times before as she is from Sussex (where I grew up) and we also have some mutual friends.   Wendy's talk covered how she develops her work from sketchbooks through to her final designs and she showed us photographs that had inspired her from a variety of places such as Barcelona and Venice. My work is also very sketchbook led so I could easily identify with her thought process. I am also drawn to textures but Wendy's work differs from mine in that she starts with plain coloured fabrics, stitch and thread -

How to start a sketchbook project - Part 1

Since I've started a new sketchbook recently I thought I could do a diary of sorts to explain how I have put the various sections together. I chose the theme of 'Layering' as I was looking through some old A-Level Art & Design question papers and this topic appealed to me. If you want to create your own sketchbook obviously you could choose any theme you like, just make sure that it's something that interests you and you will find plenty of inspiration. I favour an A3 size sketchbook but there are no hard and fast rules on this, and it's best to go for a scale that you feel comfortable with. I started out with a title page and a 'mind map' of written ideas of anything that I felt could relate to the theme of 'layering', a brainstorm of sorts. This is a good way to get over the dreaded 'first page fear' when you just can't bring yourself to start your pristine book and any mark you make is overly scrutinis

'Islamic Art & Architecture' Sketchbook

 I  thought I'd share another one of my  sketchbooks with you in this post which is based on Islamic Art & Architecture.                                                               As a starting point, I did a mind map and looked at what the subject encompassed by selecting different themes such as geometry, script, floral, colours, mosaics, designers etc. I then focused on each one of these themes over several pages, presenting them using different media such as papers, paints, stitch, prints and straws (paper) to create a riot of pattern, texture and colour which I felt represented my interpretation of the theme. I experimented with the shapes and patterns that inspired me and did some repeat pattern prints. Some of the designers that I investigated were Tine de Ruysser (jeweller), Zaha Hadid (Architect),  Peter Gould (Graphic artist) and Richard Sweeney (Furniture designer). Each one of these designers had an area of their work that I felt lin